2013 U.S. Bank 10th Anniversary Portland Jazz Festival Presented By Alaska Airlines: February 15-24, 2013November 9, 2012
10th Anniversary Event Celebrates Enduring Jazz Legacy
Featuring Universally Acclaimed Artists and Portland Favorites
Afro Cuban All-Stars, ACS: Geri Allen, Terri Lyne Carrington,
Esperanza Spalding; Jack DeJohnette; Kenny Garrett;
“The Jazz Message” Celebrating Art Blakey; Barry Harris, SexMob;
Nancy King; Gerald Wilson; Steve Kuhn; Patricia Barber, Among Others
The 2013 U.S. Bank Portland Jazz Festival presented by Alaska Airlines will be held Friday, February 15 through Sunday, February 24 at venues throughout Portland, OR. The 10th anniversary celebration will include a heady mix of world and west coast premieres and For Portland Only performances with a series of concerts featuring an imposing array of internationally recognized and local musicians playing a wide-range of jazz styles. Education and outreach, as always, amplify the festival’s recognition of Black History Month through a series of community-wide initiatives.
This year’s headliners are NEA Jazz Master Jack DeJohnette in a For Portland Only special quartet configuration featuring Ravi Coltrane, Matt Garrison and George Colligan; The Jazz Message Celebrating Art Blakey in a world premiere featuring Javon Jackson,Bobby Watson, Eddie Henderson, Curtis Fuller, George Cables, Buster Williams and Lewis Nash; The west coast premiere of ACS featuring Geri Allen, Terri Lyne Carrington and Esperanza Spalding; Afro Cuban All-Stars and Alfredo Rodriguez; Steve Kuhn Trio featuring special guest Devin Phillips; Kurt Rosenwinkel Quartet; Kenny Garrett Quartet; Patricia Barber Quartet; SexMob Plays Fellini; Portland Jazz Master Nancy King with Steve Christofferson and Glen Moore; Barry Harris Trio; Matt Wilson’s Arts & Crafts; Gerald Wilson leading two Portland ensembles; Scott Hamilton Quartet; Art Abrams Swing Machine Big Band In Tribute to Stan Kenton featuring Rebecca Kilgore; The Blue Cranes; and more.
States Managing Director Don Lucoff, “This year’s vast programming of 17 ticketed shows reflects the eclecticism that is uniquely Portland. In our 10th anniversary we welcome back festival favorites Portland Jazz Master Nancy King, Esperanza Spalding, Patricia Barber, Afro Cuban All Stars, Scott Hamilton, and Rebecca Kilgore. A rare PDX appearance by NEA Jazz Master Jack DeJohnette and The Jazz Message celebration of Steel City icon Art Blakey, enhance a robust roster, a drum feast for the ages, as we host the top jazz drummers throughout the festival: Lewis Nash, Joey Baron, Terri Lyne Carrington, Justin Faulkner and Matt Wilson in the City of Roses.”
Other festival highlights include: Berlin-based Kurt Rosenwinkel playing Portland for the first time, Gerald Wilson‘s first PDX appearance since 1949 when he last played lead trumpet in the Count Basie band at McElroy’s Ballroom, the PDX debut by Cuban pianist Alfredo Rodriguez, Art Abrams premiering his 20 strong aggregation in tribute to Stan Kenton, featuring Rebecca Kilgore and a long overdue PDX appearance by 83-year-old NEA Jazz Master Barry Harris.
Community outreach programming including the Student Stage is set to take place at Portland State University on February 16 and 17, “The Incredible Journey of Jazz” school program, Jazz Conversations and more to be announced soon. Continue to check www.pdxjazz.com for up-to-date festival information and follow us on twitter and Facebook.
Complete Concert Schedule
- Friday, Feb. 15, 7:30pm @ Aladdin Theater - Afro Cuban All-Stars& Alfredo Rodriguez
- Friday, Feb. 15, 7 &9:30pm @ Jimmy Mak’s - NEA Jazz Master Barry Harris with Chuck Israels & Mel Brown in partnership w/ SoulPatch Music Productions
- Saturday, Feb. 16, 7:30pm @ Scottish Rite Auditorium - Art Abrams Swing Machine Big Band featuring Rebecca Kilgore in Tribute to Stan Kenton with Shanghai Woolies
- Saturday, Feb. 16, 9:30pm @ The Mission Theater - Blue Cranes in partnership with Creative Music Guild
- Sunday, Feb. 17, 3:00pm @ Classic Piano - Alfredo Rodriguez, solo piano
- Monday, Feb. 18, 7:00pm @ Jimmy Mak’s - PDX Jazz All-Star Student Big Band under the direction of Gerald Wilson
- Monday, Feb. 18, 9:30pm @ Jimmy Mak’s – PDX Jazz All-Star Educators Ensemble under the direction of Darrell Grant Play the Music of Gerald Wilson
- Tuesday, Feb. 19 7 & 9:30pm @ Jimmy Mak’s - Scott Hamilton Quartet
- Tuesday, Feb. 19, 7:30pm @ Evans Auditorium - Kurt Rosenwinkel Quartet in partnership with Lewis & Clark College
- Wednesday, Feb. 20, 7 &9:30pm, Jimmy Mak’s - Matt Wilson’s Arts & Crafts
- Thursday, Feb. 21, 7:00pm @ Winningstad Theatre - Patricia Barber Quartet
- Thursday, Feb. 21, 9:30pm @ Winningstad Theatre - Kenny Garrett Quartet
- Friday, Feb. 22, 7:00pm @ Newmark Theatre - The Jazz Message; Celebrating Art Blakey
- Friday, Feb. 22, 9:30pm, Winningstad Theatre – Steve Kuhn Trio w/ special guest Devin Phillips
- Saturday, Feb. 23, 7:00pm @ Newmark Theatre - NEA Jazz Master Jack DeJohnette featuring Ravi Coltrane, Matt Garrison & George Colligan
- Saturday, Feb. 23, 9:30pm @ Winningstad Theatre - SexMob Plays Fellini
- Sunday, Feb. 24, 3:00pm @ Winningstad Theatre - Portland Jazz Master Nancy King with Glen Moore and Steve Christofferson
- Sunday, Feb. 24, 7:00pm @ Newmark Theatre - ACS: Geri Allen, Terri Lyne Carrington, Esperanza Spalding
Portland Jazz Festival Box Office
Hours of Operation: 11:00AM – 5:00PM, Monday – Friday
Order by Phone: 503-228-5299
Walk Up: 133 SW 2nd Ave, Ste 420, Portland, OR 97204
Email: Keith Imper – email@example.com
Tickets are available online at www.pdxjazz.com with complete details on our ticketing page.
PDX Jazz Members and the Citizens of Jazzlandia have the advantage of reserving the best seats first during the exclusive presale period from October 15-26. To become a member, please visit our website at www.pdxjazz.com. On sale to the public starting Saturday, October 27 at 10:00AM online at www.pdxjazz.com and the festival office beginning Monday, October 29.
Tickets range from $15 – $58 (fees may apply)
Ticket Packages are available for a discounted price exclusively through the Portland Jazz Festival Box Office. Call the PDX Jazz office for more details.
PDX Jazz, a non-profit cultural arts organization founded in 2003 in partnership with Travel Portland, produces the annual Portland Jazz Festival. The organization’s mission is to inspire, educate and develop future jazz audiences for generations to come.
The Portland Jazz Festival is a multi-venue series of jazz events presented each February within Portland, Oregon. Nationally and regionally supported as a cultural tourism initiative in celebration of Black History Month, Portland Jazz Festival is dedicated to preserving America’s indigenous art form by presenting internationally recognized jazz masters alongside local jazz musicians. A series of jazz education and outreach programs that extend into Portland’s schools and neighborhoods is at the heart of the annual event.
PDX Jazz is dedicated to year around programming at various Portland venues including the monthly PDX Jazz @ The Mission Theater series and the popular PDX Jazz @ Jimmy Mak’s performances of nationally acclaimed artists.
For media inquires, please call 503-228-5299
or contact us by email here:
Franny Kane: firstname.lastname@example.org
Don Lucoff: email@example.com
For a complete schedule of events, please visit:
###This entry was posted in 2013, 2013, Portland Jazz Festival, Press and tagged Jazz, Live Music, Music, Portland. Bookmark the permalink. ← PDX Jazz: A Musical Celebration For Portland Portland Jazz Festival 2013: Jazz Conversations – Nancy King with Mary Kadderly →